Friday, November 30, 2012

NaNoWriMo Winner!

It turns out that the social pressure of NaNoWriMo was just what I needed to goad me into buckling down and writing 50,000 words. I just validated my novel, and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself.

By no means do I have a finished novel. I'm not sure how anyone could in 30 days. But I have a draft of a whole bunch of words to work with. And I don't know about other writers, but for me, it's that initial creation that's the hard part. Editing? Sure, it's time consuming. But when I already have "raw data" to work with, I can sit there and move it around all day long. It's the creation that's the killer.

I'm sure this is work that I'll sit on for a long time, but in the meantime, it feels good to know that I dedicated myself to something, worked hard at it for 30 days, and reached a goal. Writing is a habit, and NaNo forced me into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment